√.. fantastic hands-on skills that I can implement with the children I work with.
√..This course is about learning real skills not just theory.
√..Fantastic course and approach to delivering an introduction into this subject. It was just the right amount of information to get a taster, without feeling bored or overwhelmed.
One of the phrases I always use with kids is “You can tell me, or you can show me in whatever way you want.”
Improve your knowledge of and skill in working creatively with traumatised children and young people (including those with a sexual assault history). Consider art and play therapy case studies and practice suitable methods and tools to work safely, respectfully and effectively with children who have been affected by traumatic events.
This two half-day online workshop introduces you to approaches and applications of art and play interventions with children and young people who have been affected by trauma. The key advantage with art and play therapies is that, used respectfully, children and young people can express images, thoughts, events and feelings that might otherwise be difficult to express. The externalising that this media fosters, allows a way of distancing from distress, a safer means of telling and an avenue for reclaiming power.
This workshop will provide valuable tools and processes for clinicians who work with young clients and who wish to enhance their ways to overcome trauma in creative and evidence-based ways. We will also discuss the effects of trauma, brain development implications and do's and don'ts in trauma work, especially when using creative materials.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Identify types and prevalence of trauma in children and young people
- Review appropriate art and play based methods of intervention
- Understand the theory informing this work (including Play Therapy, Gestalt, Humanist and Strength-Based Approaches)
- Consider the evidence
- See theory applied to case studies
- Experience the therapeutic uses of creative interventions
- Practice assessment skills and consider creative intervention skills
- Learn in the safety and support of a small group environment
Please note, this is a LIVE and INTERACTIVE training event. We don't record this.
What ideas are explored:
- What are the different types of trauma?
- How common is trauma in children and young people?
- How can trauma be assessed?
- What does the evidence suggest works in managing trauma?
- What art and play interventions work in managing trauma?
- What art and play interventions work are appropriate in managing the effects of child sexual assault?
- How do we know if what we are doing is working?
- Does it work for all ages and types of trauma?
- When might this form of therapy not be useful?
- How can I involve parents?
- What are the basic sorts of resources I need?
Training methods will include:
- Interactive presentations
- Case study review
- Large and small group discussions
- Live demonstration of methods
- DVD demonstration of methods
- Reflection opportunities for application of methods
- Have paper, some coloured textas, pencils, pens and or crayons or oil pastels.
- Have a collection of toys and craft materials if can access these (For example: puppets, soft toys, dolls, plastic swords, dress up clothes and jewellry, doll house, cars, trucks, play food, toy construction materials, magic wand, play medical kit, toy animals/families, scary masks – whatever you have handy)
Who Should Attend?
All mental health professionals working with children. Psychologists, social workers, counsellors, case workers, child and family counsellors, child protection workers, mental health and pastoral workers, other allied health professionals and students of these disciplines.
Workshop Dates and Times
5th-6th September 2022, 10.00am - 1.00pm AEST (Sydney Time) NOW FULLY BOOKED - Wait list applies
14th-15th November 2022, 10am-1pm AEDT (Sydney Time)
Attending from interstate or internationally?
You can use this time converter to check the exact day and time of this training for your location.
Jacki Short - Registered Counselling Psychologist and Play Therapist and Supervisor
Included in the workshop price:
- 6 CPD points/hours
- Comprehensive Seminar Workbook
- Link to create Certificate of Attendance
Special Price $300
Approved ACA Event for 10 points
Send us an email requesting an invoice via the contact page with your name, the dates and name of course/courses you'd like to do and the name of your organisation who you want us to invoice and we will send you an organisational invoice and a registration form.