√..inspiring! Definitely would recommend this course! Loved it!
After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.
Stories provide powerful metaphors to inspire, teach and guide. Stories give hope, build resilience, develop positive values and can change behaviour.
In this two day workshop, you will hear examples of and ideas and techniques for writing healing stories. You will explore the therapeutic use and benefits of metaphor. With the support of a storymaking framework, you will be guided in metaphor mapping and be able to create your own stories to address a range of challenging behaviours and situations.
Through case study illustrations and practical exercises, this workshop will introduce you to a range of therapeutic stories for children and adults in counselling and group work. Learn ways to create, source and use stories therapeutically in your work. Experience hands-on training and gain skills in storytelling for healing.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Appreciate the historical and cultural value of storytelling, and imagination as a 'way of knowing'
- Identify the genre of therapeutic storytelling
- Practice a therapeutic writing framework (metaphor, journey, resolution)
- Appreciate the therapeutic use of metaphor as story seeds
- Learn the process of metaphor mapping
- Identify different aspects of behaviour and the link to story resolutions
- Use a 'random story cards' approach to stimulate imaginative story ideas
- Construct a therapeutic story for a chosen theme
- Learn in the safely and support of a small group
What ideas are explored:
- How can stories be used therapeutically?
- How do we select different types of stories to meet specific needs?
- How can we create stories that match clients' metaphors?
- When and how can stories be used to help manage challenging behaviour and situations?
- When might stories be not suitable to use?
Training methods will include:
- Interactive presentations
- Case presentations
- Large group discussions
- Pair and small group discussions
- Practical story constructions
- Art therapy session - drawing your way into metaphor
- Reflection opportunities for application of methods
- Learn in the safety and support of a small group.
Who Should Attend:
Psychologists, social workers, counsellors, teachers, play therapists, psychotherapists, pastoral workers, parents and carers and other allied health professionals and students who are interested in incorporating elements of storytelling into their work. Provisional psychologists can attend at student rates.
Susan Perrow - M.(Ed)
Sydney: 21 - 22 May 2020
Brisbane: 17 - 18 August 2020
SYDNEY - Burwood RSL, 97 Shaftesbury Rd, Burwood NSW
BRISBANE - Riverside Hotel, 20 Montague Rd, South Brisbane
Check out all the attractions of South Bank 10 mins from hotel
Included in the workshop price:
- 12 CPD hours
- Comprehensive Bound Seminar Workbook
- Certificate of Attendance
- Lunch, Morning & Afternoon Teas
- 9am - 4pm Training
- Early bird savings for bookings made two months prior to training.
Regular Price $660
Early Bird $630 (paid 2 months prior)
Student Price $560
Student Early $530 (paid 2 months prior)
Send us an email requesting an invoice via the contact page with your name, the dates and name of course/courses you'd like to do and the name of your organisation who you want us to invoice and we will send you an organisational invoice and a registration form.
What people are saying about ...
Therapeutic Storytelling: Addressing Challenge through Story
The training workshop was..
√..an excellent foundation to start storytelling in my practice.
√..valuable in listening to the experience of the trainer and her journey in storytelling as well as learning how stories have been told with therapeutic aims.
√..encouraging of creativity and flow of thoughts and ideas with therapeutic relevance and consideration for application in practice.
√..a privilege to have been working with a person of such creative talent.
√..really useful to get a template for and have discussion of metaphors in therapeutic storytelling.
√..I have gone away from this workshop with so many ideas to further my writing for children. Extremely useful!
√..the presentation was delivered in a clear and easy to understand way.
√..Susan is a wonderful storyteller and teacher! Very inspiring workshop!
√..opened by eyes to a therapeutic story writing method that can be very non-confrontational.
√..this was a new concept for me and I found the process of storytelling as therapy enlightening and incredibly powerful. I will be adding therapeutic storytelling to my "tool-kit" from now on!
√..I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and learned so much more than I imagined.
√..Loved the hands-on approach. Inclusive environment and supportive atmosphere for learning.
√..the group dynamic was wonderful and supportive. The skills and nurturing from Susan were wonderful.